Thursday, October 14, 2010

Attitude, Scmatitude...

I saw an old acquaintance not too long ago who has always been beautiful looking.  She takes care of herself; hair always done nice, nails polished, cute clothes, exercises consistently to keep slender, has always been physically fit.   We talked for awhile before she told me she was now divorced.  To look at my friend one might be surprised to find her husband had left her after 25 years of marriage.  One might even be shocked to find her husband had left this pretty woman for a much heavier, plainer woman.  I wasn't too surprised.  Why?

This friend of mine has always had a negative perspective about herself.  Her body was never 'skinny' enough, hair wasn't cut right (when you complimented her on it) she told everyone she wasn't talented or smart.  She was always putting herself down  in front of family and friends. She would tell her husband she didn't know why he married her, he must not love her because she wasn't good enough, pretty enough or skinny enough.  Although physically fit, she doesn't seem to be emotionally 'fit'.

 I think we are all guilty of being negative about ourselves and not acknowledging the compliments given to us.  Is it our human nature to put ourselves down  and not believe others when they tell us something good?
I think not...I think we   kind of practice the negative communication until it becomes a bad habit and weakens our 'fit' state.

When we were children we had a pretty high estimation of ourselves.  I love the comment one of my 'adopted' grandchildren gave me, "Nana, I am a beautiful princess and really nice, too.  My daddy says my lips will drive boys crazy someday".  She's absolutely correct!  She's beautiful, nice and has gorgeous full lips. Right now she has a pretty 'fit' image of herself.  I hope it never falters.

Our overall fitness includes how we feel about ourselves. Just as our muscles become more shapely and attractive with effort, so can our attitude and demeanor.  Working on a having a more positive self image and happy outlook  attracts others to you.  It promotes both your emotional and physical health.
We  enjoy being in the presence of someone who is cheerful and positive.  We avoid the company of  those with negative attitudes. Simple...
The husband married a woman who had a sunny disposition and positive view of herself and her trials in life.Although not physically fit, internally she was fit.

This experience causes me to question.. what am I doing to become more 'fit' emotionally?  Am I the kind of person whose attitude  attracts or repells  others?  What can I do to improve?

Truly, we are all beautiful and really nice, too...we just need to believe it and show the world we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment