Thursday, October 28, 2010

Friends are like bras...close to your heart and there for support

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to spend time with a friend who needed my help.  Being able to serve someone in need creates such a wonderful, warm feeling and establishes a unique bond between you.

Even more amazing is finding out you have helped someone and didn't even know it!

In the past year of teaching Zumba fitness classes, I feel like I have acquired so many new friends.  They are not just class members or students to me.  When I see their smiling faces walk in through the door, it is like a friend coming to my home to visit me.  I am honored that they want to come.

In all the years of teaching a variety of fitness classes, I  have never experienced the phenomenon of what has happened teaching Zumba fitness.  I began teaching Zumba because I truly enjoyed how fun it was.  I was impressed with how quickly inches and weight could come off.    I just wanted to share the physical benefits of that with everyone.  I never imagined the greater emotional impact  it was having on many of my new friends and with myself.

So many of them have shared their personal stories with me. Struggles with divorce, terminal illness, loss of a child, deep depression, physical limitations, pregnancy issues, teenager conflicts.  The reason for sharing their stories with me was because coming to our Zumba fitness class  made a difference during a difficult time in their lives.  A couple of times a week, they could look forward to something happy when they felt the rest of their life was falling apart.   I was totally unaware that our classes were providing anything else but a chance to work out.
.
There have been several  cherishing moments with women  that just a few months ago were unknown to me and now have touched my heart.  As a new face walks into my class, not only do I want them to enjoy being there, I want that person to be able to feel the support the rest of us have been experiencing. I want them to feel the happiness from 'coming to my home'

1 comment:

  1. As I was leaving Zumba this morning, I saw your website on the sign at the gymnastics center and of course, I had to check it out. Which led me to your blog. (Yes, I'm a web addict, lol!)
    Anyway, it's been so neat to get to know you a little better. It's amazing how much we all have in common when it gets right down to it. You amaze me, Liz. :)
    Thanks so much for your Zumba classes. They have helped my self esteem, they have of course helped me lose weight, and they have given me something that I truly love about myself - the ability to get up and dance! I've said it before, and I'll say it again - you're the best Zumba teacher I know - and I am so glad I've found your class. :)

    ReplyDelete